When you are undergoing fertility treatments it is important to focus on the us, rather than the family you could be. Whether you are the one in treatment, or the one showing support, appreciating your partner can help keep your relationship stable for the long run. Sergio Oehninger, MD, PhD, of Sher Fertility Institute New York shares 6 tips to help stay connected and show your partner appreciation through fertility treatments.
- Focus on the experience, not the result. Physical intimacy doesn’t have to mean sex. Even if you are just holding hands walking down the street, this can help you and your partner feel supported and grateful.
- Say thank you. Remember that your partner is human too. Thanking them, for even the smallest thing can help them to feel appreciated.
- Say what you mean, when you mean it. Holding in your feelings can lead to resentment, bad blood in the relationship and poor communication. Your partner likely can’t read your mind, and you shouldn’t expect them to. Be sure to be respectful with how you address these feelings.
- Send them an email. Sometimes it’s easier to express yourself through a letter than it is face-to-face. The other great thing about sending an email is that they then have a later point of reference. Take the time to think through your feelings, reminisce on the old times reminding yourself of why you’re together on this journey in the first place.
- Avoid blame. Maybe your husband’s sperm are “slow” … Or maybe you have blocked tubes. At the end of the day does it really matter whose fault it is? Reassure your partner that you’re in this together.
- Schedule a TTC timeout. This can be a trip to the movies, a dinner for two, skydiving (whatever floats your boat!). The most important thing is that neither of you talk about children, infertility, medical treatments, adoption or anything to do with what you’re going through.
Sergio Oehninger, MD, PhD, of Sher Fertility Institute New York has helped thousands of patients through their fertility treatments. He is here for you along the way.
Contact Sher Fertility Institute New York at 646-792-7476 or click here to schedule an appointment with one of our fertility doctors. Our Patient Care Specialists will contact you within the next 24 hours.